For European-based grocer Lidl, development and permitting assistance and support services to hire and acclimate a new workforce were key to building its U.S. headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.
AED Relocation Services
- Information Fair: AED organized “Welcome to Arlington” day for Lidl employees, an onsite trade show showcasing Arlington and regional service providers specializing in day care, housing and transportation. Additionally, local neighborhood merchants offered food and product samplings to help employees become better acquainted with their new community.
- Permitting Assistance: Understanding Lidl’s strict construction timelines, AED worked with Arlington’s permitting office to expedite fit-out permitting and signage regulations. This allowed Lidl to occupy floors as construction was completed, saving the company time and money.
- Workforce Development: AED connected Lidl with Arlington and Virginia’s Workforce Services Councils and higher education institutions to assist the company with its hiring needs.
Retaining existing employees was a primary goal of Nestlé’s plan to relocate its headquarters from California to Arlington. To help ensure success, Arlington worked with Nestlé to craft hands-on relocation support services that introduced its employees to all the Washington, D.C region offers.
- World-class corporation seeking to relocate headquarters from Glendale, CA
- Chose Arlington's Rosslyn neighborhood in 2017
- Leasing 205,000 SF of office space
- Relocating up to 400 employees and hiring 600 additional employees
- Received commitments to relocate nearly two times the number of projected employees
AED Relocation Services
- Relocation Website: AED built a custom website for Nestlé employees to familiarize themselves with the D.C. metro area, helping them to understand all aspects of relocating to Arlington.
- On-Site Relocation Assistance: AED stocked and staffed a D.C. metro area resource center at Nestlé’s California headquarters with information on housing, transportation, neighborhoods and amenities. AED made presentations and hosted “staff hours” for employees to talk with subject matter experts.
- Familiarization Tours: AED assisted with Arlington familiarization tours for employees and their families. Tours included an information fair, area overviews, meetings with real estate professionals and welcome bags.
- Personal Introductions: AED connected Nestlé executives with powerful partners and resources in the D.C. metro area to get them acclimated and operating quickly and efficiently.
- Workforce Development: AED convened a panel of regional workforce partners (higher education, employment centers, workforce councils and veteran organizations) to meet with Nestlé’s human resource managers and recruiters to support Nestlé with its hiring needs and provide a pipeline of available employees.